Stockport Council served up new offices

Posted on by John Cronin

Stockport Council have completed a move to a new office block named after a famous tennis star born in the town.

Fred Perry HouseStockport Council have now completed their relocation to new offices known as Fred Perry House (pictured). The building was named in honour of the world famous tennis player who was born in Stockport in 1909. The grandson of Fred Perry attended the official opening on the building last November that was conducted by the Earl of Wessex, HRH Prince Edward.

The £12m project offers approximately 47,000 sq ft of floor space over 5 floors. The council took the decision to relocate from other office buildings to reduce costs and offer a central service to local residents. The council claims the new offices will be cost neutral for council tax payers. Construction work started in May 2009 with main-contractor Carillion working alongside local, sub-contracting companies. The council had the building constructed within a short time-scale and only issued a completion certificate on 23rd December last year.

The council has nominated the building for the North West Building Excellence Awards as it incorporates various energy saving measures and is the first building in the borough to meet the Changing Places requirements for fully accessible facilities. The building has also been awarded a BREEAM rating of ‘Excellent’.

Architects behind the scheme were Ingenium Architects. The development was project managed by NPS (Stockport) Ltd.

This entry was posted in Manchester and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.